A quick google search of “Social Media Reciprocity” will showcase what a number of Social Media experts believe is the correct netiquette for retweets and followings. I don’t claim to be a social media expert (and, also don’t believe in experts in this field – it changes far too quickly), but I have challenged myself to begin reciprocating the love when I am followed. And, I have a few take-aways:
- By truly reviewing who is following me and what their blog/website/information has to offer… I am learning a lot of neat stuff!
- It’s a great way to see who is connecting with you purposefully and who is just adding people… and adding, and adding…
- There is so much spam out in the twitterverse!!
- Most people will reciprocate back, check out your blog or thoughts if you take the time to check out theirs.
How this can be done without being social media tacky:
- When someone follows you, check out their profile. Read their blog, review their website, see if they have tweeted something interesting lately.
- As appropriate, follow if you really do feel that you have something to connect about.
- Even if you do not follow, find something interesting to say, ask them about their blog, comment on one of their recent tweets… or simply.. thank them for the follow.
- Ignore the spam.
Have you an avid reciprocator? Do YOU appreciate recirprocity? What are you tactics and strategies? If you don’t… why not?